Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A friend's KICKSTARTER project ...

I'm not one to endorse Kickstarters, generally. Especially when it's about comic books which I do a fair amount of reviewing. This one I want to support because of who is involved. Mainly Darren Davis and his Bluewater Productions.

Full disclosure, I've been friends with Darren since 1998 when I met him working at Trimark (now Lionsgate.) In the ensuing years, I've helped him at many a comic book convention booth, shared many a meal, and even written some comic books for him.

I, also, am aware that he gets a lot of negative publicity. Much about the quality of his opportunistic biography books but some are charges leveled by creators who feel unfairly treated by him. I have nothing to offer on this as I've had different expectations and approach things a bit differently.

This is neither a defense or a pile-on. My business dealings were positive. Regardless, he's still my friend and I am excited about the possibility of bigger projects and better revenue models for his company.

I'll confess I don't know much about The Iron Fey, as it's described. A quick glance at Amazon.com and there were a lot of reviews and positive reviews. YA books seem to be all the rage these days. Heck, my day job has me working on two of the three biggest currently.

I've copied a bit from the page but if you're interested, take a look at the Kickstarter.